I pulled an article from the April 2012 Report on Business magazine, comparing prices from now to 1987. It was fairly interesting. Here’s a few of the highlights.
Cheaper now than 1987
- Top of the line Apple computer
- Large screen T.V
- Ralph Lauren Women’s Cotton Shirt
More expensive than 1987
- Harvey’s Hamburger and fries – 6.76 now vs 2.13 then.
- Basic cable – 38 now vs 10 to 12 then
- Bottle of Dom Perignon – 220 now vs. 85.25 then
Way way more expensive than 1987
Toronto home – 481,000 vs 195,000!
It also indicated the average Canadian family income was 37,118 in 1987, and it’s 62,500 now (well, as of 2009 according to Stats Canada). I’m guessing it’s both inflation and the fact there are more 2 income families that have made it rise.
Did you find this interesting? Anything surprise you? I knew fast food was getting more expensive!