Yesterday, I covered part 1 of my list of recession proof businesses or jobs, and today I’m going to finish the list. I was inspired by an article on the Web site “How Stuff Works.”
Here are the remaining 5 jobs or careers that are considered recession proof:
- Vices – basically, smoking, alcohol, and gambling. And something else I won’t mention here as this is a family friendly blog. . While some folks will cut back in order to save money, some will indulge their bad habits even more as a way with coping with stress.
- Discount retail. Places such as Wal-Mart, Dollar Stores, and thrift shops do well during recessions. It makes perfect sense – people are looking to spend less, and these are the places to do it!
- Information Technology. It’s the age of the geek, baby! Technology isn’t going anywhere, and almost all companies make use of it one way or the other. Yes, jobs are being shipped offshore, but in at least some cases, this has gone so badly that jobs are now being relocated back to North America.
- Health Care. With an aging population, this makes sense – and for the most part, it can’t be outsourced!
- Non-cyclical businesses. Basically, this means stuff that people continue to need, regardless of how the economy is. So – people will still die (funeral homes), pay taxes (accountants), and need electricity, gas, and waste disposal (utility companies).
I hope you’ve enjoyed this list, and keep it in mind if you or anyone you know is thinking of making a career change. Heck, encourage your kids to look into some of these, and support you in your old age!
If you had to pick ones of these fields to work in, which would it be?