Okay, I’ll freely admit I’m a little behind in putting this up as it’s past Earth Day. But it can never hurt to both save money and live green. So here are some tips to help you out:
- Wash clothes in cold water. You may have to manually change your setting on the washer to do this, but it’s well worth it. Clothes end up just as clean and you don’t pay to heat the water up.
- Make your own household beauty or cleaning products. Baking soda and vinegar work great on a variety of stains and dirt, and used toothbrushes are great for scrubbing everything from baseboards to windowsills.
- Buy secondhand clothes. Saves things from going into the landfill, and you can often find stuff with the tags still on them! I’ve bought everything from a dress to wear to a funeral to a “Zombie Walk” costume at a thrift store.
- Use low energy appliances. This one is pretty self explanatory.
- Cut out paper and plastic waste. Bring your own cloth bags to the grocery store. Sign up to receive your bills online (but not if this means you won’t remember to pay them!). Try to get removed from junk mail lists that don’t interest you.
Tune in tomorrow for part 2 of this post!
What do you do to live green and save money?
Image courtesy of Wikimedia.